Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Movie Review: Fast and Furious 6 (a.k.a. Furious 6)

Let me start off by saying this. If you are interested in film making, will ever be interested in film making or will ever think about how they make films, you should follow this advice: STOP AT THREE. Please. For my sake and for anyone who will ever watch a movie, please stop at three. I don't know if there has ever been a good movie in a series that came after three. I didn't HATE this movie, but honestly Justin Lin (who's directed the Fast and Furious movies) should of stopped at a trilogy and just kinda dusted his hands of it. Fast and Furious 7 is in production right now though and this movie made $780 million, so I guess... I'm the only one who cares.*

Okay, now that I'm down from my soap box let's actually talk about Fast and Furious 6. It's basically the same as all of the other Fast and Furious films (but now featuring amnesia). I don't know, I've always felt like amnesia was sort of a cop-out for the screenwriter. "I don't feel like coming up with a unique plot today" "That's okay, just give that chick amnesia and we'll make a couple million dollars". I'm obviously exaggerating a little bit, but with the exception of Memento I've never really liked the use of amnesia as a plot point.

Plot wise, it's not the worst it could of been. A terrorist is trying to build a bomb to wipe out the government's computers, and now the Fast and Furious team is going to stop him in exchange for pardons from the government. Also, we learn that Letty isn't dead, she just can't remember anything and so now she's working for the bad guys. After six movies it is hard to make good character development, so I'll give this movie credit for doing it decently. But to be honest, you know that no one who goes into this movie is looking for character development or plot. We want BOOM! EXPLOSION! EXCITEMENT! CAR!

The acting is decent for a street racing heist movie, only so-so in the grand scheme of things. Vin Diesel is Dom, which is by now a pretty iconic role for him. Like, it's no longer Vin Diesel is Dominic Toretto, it's Dominic Toretto is Vin Diesel. Kind of like a street racing Mark Hamill who isn't as good of an actor.

There are themes of racial equality that seem really forced and are only in the movie for a very small fraction of the run time. The main scene of this theme is almost painful in how overt it is, with a white car dealer is racist to Roman and disrespects him. Roman ends up buying all his cars and forcing the dealer to give Hobbes all of his clothes, which in my opinion is a bit dumb.

Overall: 1.5 of 4 stars
It's a good time purely for the street racing and all out action scenes. I doesn't have that great of any other elements, but if you just want to watch someone drive a Porsche off a bridge or watch a tank drive over cars on a freeway, this is a decent time.
Reference scale:
Transformers < Fast and Furious < 300


*Exception to this rule: Rocky. God I love those movies. You can expect a Rocky review in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment